Preoperative Physical Evaluations
Preoperative (Preop) Physical Evaluations in Palmdale
Dr. Katayoun Motlagh offers preoperative physical evaluations (preops) at her Palmdale, CA practice. Learn more below, or book an appointment today using the form on this page. KMHC Clinic services the following areas in Antelope Valley: Palmdale, Lancaster, Acton and Quartz Hill.
"I feel that have to review Dr Motlagh again for those who are looking for an excellent Primary care Dr. When I tell you she is THE best Dr I’ve ever had…… When I came to her, I was on several medications that provided the same benefit. She helped me with that. She reminded me of the importance of annual exams (Mammogram, blood work, and all the other physical requirements that should be checked annually) She provides excellent referrals if necessary and truly makes you feel a part of your own health care❤️ Thank you Dr Motlagh and staff. You guys are amazing❤️❤️❤️🤗"- S. / Google / Apr 27, 2023
"I feel that have to review Dr Motlagh again for those who are looking for an excellent Primary care Dr. When I tell you she is THE best Dr I’ve ever had…… When I came to her, I was on several medications that provided the same benefit. She helped me with that. She reminded me of the importance of annual exams (Mammogram, blood work, and all the other physical requirements that should be checked annually) She provides excellent referrals if necessary and truly makes you feel a part of your own health care❤️ Thank you Dr Motlagh and staff. You guys are amazing❤️❤️❤️🤗"- R.B. / Google / Apr 26, 2023
"Always trusted her with all my heart . She has saved me from two back surgeries. She is always readily available. Extremely smart and knowledgeable and caring .I highly recommend her ."- K.B. / Yelp / Aug 30, 2022
"Very professional and pleasant. Accurately assessed an abscess. We were seen promptly."- B.T. / Yelp / Aug 23, 2022
"Truly appreciate the staff and the doctor here! Went in for urgent care for my son and they were great from start to finish. Wait time wasn't too long, doctor was competent, and the staff had a great attitude. Appreciate having this place in the AV."- A.A. / Google / Aug 18, 2022
What Is A PreOperative Evaluation?
Almost all patients who are scheduled to undergo surgery are required to see a medical doctor, such as a family medicine doctor, for a preop physical exam in order to ensure that they will be able to withstand the stresses involved with the operation itself. In addition, pre-surgical evaluations allow a physician to order any tests that may be necessary for obtaining information about a patient’s health that may be relevant to the surgery.
It is not necessary to be a regular patient of Dr. Katayoun Motlagh for her to provide a pre-operative evaluation for surgery. For instance, if you are a patient who needs a preop physical exam but your regular doctor is not available to provide an exam in time for the scheduled operation, Dr. Motlagh can help.
Why Is A PreOperative Evaluation Performed?
A complete preoperative physical examination helps identify any potential health problems and optimize success in the outcome of surgery. This is especially important for patients who have complicated medical histories or who have underlying conditions or chronic diseases. In some cases, the results of the evaluation may lead to additional preparation so that a high-risk patient will be better able to handle surgery.
One of the most common causes of complications during surgical procedures is anesthetic use. A person’s health history and preoperative evaluation will help the surgical team decide what anesthetic to use and the best way to administer it.
What Are The Advantages of PreOperative Evaluations?
Preoperative physical exams are beneficial in a number of ways:
- Allow your doctor to make recommendations designed to minimize risk before, during, and after surgery
- Prepare high-risk patients for surgery
- Guide what anesthetic to use
- Minimize the possibility that the surgery will need to be postponed or canceled
- May decrease the length of hospital stay after surgery
- Improve outcomes of surgery
- Guide postoperative management
What Does A PreOp Physical Exam Involve?
A preoperative evaluation typically includes the aspects of a complete physical examination, along with some additional elements.
During a preop physical exam, you can expect Dr. Motlagh to:
- Measure and record your height and weight
- Measure and record your blood pressure
- Listen to your heart and lungs
- Assess your ears, nose, and throat
- Gently palpate your belly to see if there are signs of tenderness
- Check your eyes and vision
- Evaluate joint flexibility, mobility, spinal alignment, and posture
- Check neurological functions such as reflexes, coordination, and strength
- Discuss any chronic conditions you have and medications you take
- Assess risk factors that may lead to cardiac, pulmonary, or infectious complications
- Inquire about your anesthesia history
- Inquire about any allergies or reactions you have had to certain types of drugs
Based on the findings of this initial evaluation, your medical history and the type of surgery you are scheduled to undergo, Dr. Motlagh may also include the following elements in your pre-operative exam:
- Laboratory testing/blood work
- Imaging studies, such as X-rays or an electrocardiogram (EKG)
When Is A PreOperative Evaluation Necessary?
Some of the types of surgery that require preop physical exams include:
- Bariatric (stomach) surgery
- Thoracic (chest) surgery
- Cardiac (heart) surgery
- Major intra-abdominal (abdomen) surgery
- Vascular (vein) surgery
Dr. Motlagh also evaluates patients prior to various other types of surgery, because preoperative physical examinations can help reduce the risk for even minor surgical procedures, depending on the patient’s age, underlying conditions, and overall physical health.