What is a Physical Examination?
It is recommended that all patients have a physical examination at least once a year and more often for infants and children, as needed. Dr. Katayoun Motlagh is an experienced family physician in Palmdale who performs annual physical exams for adults and children, special clearances for school, sports, and work, and has a special certification to perform exams for required DMV physicals for the DOT. Schedule a physical exam near you today. KMHC Clinic services the following areas in Antelope Valley: Palmdale, Lancaster, Acton and Quartz Hill.
"I DON’T UNDERSTAND THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS POSTED HERE. Dr Motlagh is the most professional, caring and skilled GP physician in the Antelope Valley PERIOD. The nurses and receptionist are equally professional and knowledgeable. My wife and I are in our eighties and have a lot of complex medical issues.Whenever we have an insurance or pharmacy problem, I just pick up the phone and talk to Elizabeth and it’s INSTANTLY resolved (usually while I’m still on the phone). They deserve a 10-Star Rating !!!"- H.C. / Yelp / Sep 24, 2023
"I am grateful for you and your service and appreciate all of your hard work! Just wanted to say thanks for not only being a great doctor, you also make the patient feel they are the most important person alive! - Goes above and beyond with care for my menopause!"- A.A. / Google / Sep 10, 2023
"I feel that have to review Dr Motlagh again for those who are looking for an excellent Primary care Dr. When I tell you she is THE best Dr I’ve ever had…… When I came to her, I was on several medications that provided the same benefit. She helped me with that. She reminded me of the importance of annual exams (Mammogram, blood work, and all the other physical requirements that should be checked annually) She provides excellent referrals if necessary and truly makes you feel a part of your own health care❤️ Thank you Dr Motlagh and staff. You guys are amazing❤️❤️❤️🤗"- S. / Google / Apr 27, 2023
"I feel that have to review Dr Motlagh again for those who are looking for an excellent Primary care Dr. When I tell you she is THE best Dr I’ve ever had…… When I came to her, I was on several medications that provided the same benefit. She helped me with that. She reminded me of the importance of annual exams (Mammogram, blood work, and all the other physical requirements that should be checked annually) She provides excellent referrals if necessary and truly makes you feel a part of your own health care❤️ Thank you Dr Motlagh and staff. You guys are amazing❤️❤️❤️🤗"- R.B. / Google / Apr 26, 2023
"Always trusted her with all my heart . She has saved me from two back surgeries. She is always readily available. Extremely smart and knowledgeable and caring .I highly recommend her ."- K.B. / Yelp / Aug 30, 2022
Why Take A Physical Examination?
Regular physical exams are a core element of preventive healthcare and a way to help patients maintain good health. Annual medical checkups can also help to identify a more serious medical condition before it begins to cause problems.
Annual physical examinations are recommended in order to:
- Update your medical record
- Detect subtle changes that could indicate a disease
- Monitor chronic conditions
- Receive immunizations
Can I Discuss Other Issues During A Physical?
During a physical exam, patients are given the opportunity to ask Dr. Motlagh about any unusual symptoms they might be experiencing. A benefit of regular physical checkups with the same family medicine physician is that patients receive continuity of care and treatment while building a relationship with their doctor. As a result, this enables you to feel comfortable with one physical exam doctor and gives you confidence in the individualized care you’re receiving.
What To Expect During Your Exam
Physical exams vary slightly, depending on the type of physical, the age of the patient, and his or her unique needs.
How to Prepare for Your Physical Exam
- Provide or update your medical history
- Provide or update information about your health and health-related details
- Emergency room visits
- Specialist visits
- Current information on chronic conditions
- Current medications you are taking
- Health issues of family members
- Family history or potential risk factors you may have for specific diseases
How Is A Physical Exam Performed?
- Measure and record your weight
- Measure and record your blood pressure
- Listen to your heart and lungs
- Assess your ears, nose, and throat and test hearing if hearing loss is suspected
- Gently palpate your belly to see if there are signs of tenderness
- Check vision and ask about glasses and/or contact lenses
- Look at joint flexibility, mobility, spinal alignment, and posture
- Check neurological function, such as reflexes, coordination, and strength
- Evaluate and discuss any chronic conditions you have and medications you take
In some cases, your physical exam may include:
- Lab work – based on your age and other factors including cholesterol, hemoglobin count, urinalysis
- Additional diagnostic tests – such as x-rays, electrocardiogram (EKG)
- A recommendation for screening procedures, such as a colonoscopy or mammogram
- A referral to a specialist for certain conditions or symptoms
If you are a female, your annual medical checkup may involve a pelvic exam and/or Pap smear as well. Dr. Motlagh is an experienced family medicine physician who also offers a wide range of Women’s Health Services.
How Is A Pediatric Physical Exam Performed?
As a family medicine physician, Dr. Motlagh sees patients of all ages, starting from the time that they are infants. During the first few years of life, Dr. Motlagh typically recommends a more frequent assessment of your child with checkups more than once a year. Once a child is slightly older, the frequency of physical exams will taper off to annual visits, unless he or she has a health issue that warrants more frequent assessment.
An infant or childhood physical exam typically includes:
- A thorough general physical examination with many of the same elements that are involved in an adult physical
- Giving all necessary vaccinations, plus boosters for children and teens, including:
- Measles, mumps, rubella (“German” measles), varicella (chickenpox)
- Hepatitis A and B, influenza, rotavirus (RV), pneumonia, polio
- DPT (also called TDaP): diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus
- HPV (human papilloma virus), meningococcal A and B for teens
- Making sure your child is developing properly in growth, behavior, and skills
- Providing information about children’s safety, fitness, and nutrition
What To Expect During A Sports Physical
In addition to annual adult physicals and pediatric physicals, Dr. Motlagh also offers physical exams for sports.
A sports physical is a thorough exam that has elements of both the child and adult physical exams. More specifically, it involves evaluating a patient’s health as it relates to a particular sport and athletic activity in general.
During a sports physical exam, Dr. Motlagh:
- Looks for conditions, injuries, or underlying diseases that might impact or interfere with safe participation in a sport
- Asks about habits, like drug and alcohol use, eating disorders, smoking, etc.
- Ensures that additional tests are performed, as needed
- Completes any necessary forms
When Are Physical Exams Needed?
Many jobs require a physical examination before employment. In addition, academic institutions often require their students to undergo a physical exam before they start. Dr. Motlagh is experienced with performing all types of physicals and completing the necessary forms for schools and jobs, including:
- Pre-employment physicals
- College and university health service physicals
- DMV physicals for the Department of Transportation
- Pre-operative physical exams
- Routine physicals for persons with chronic medical conditions
Schedule Your Physical Exam Today!
If you are interested in learning more about annual physical examinations with Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, family medicine doctor in Palmdale, or setting up a physical for yourself or your child, please contact our office today. You can also schedule an appointment with our physical exam doctors by filling out the appointment request form right on this page.