What Is the Best Birth Control to Stop My Periods?

Using birth control pills to stop periods is a common practice, and relatively safe for most women. Some birth control options are more effective than others for suppressing periods. For example, many women enjoy the freedom of using implants for birth control, and while they can help to minimize periods, cessation only occurs in around one-fourth of the women using the patch.

Menstrual Suppression Options

In addition to the implant, there are a variety of birth control options available that are effective at eliminating periods. Among these options are pills, patches, shots, and even an IUD. With any method of period suppression, however, you can experience breakthrough bleeding, mood swing, and other PMS-like symptoms.

Birth Control Pills and Patches

Both birth control pills and patches are designed to run 28 days, with the last seven days being a placebo during your cycle. However, if you replace the patch or start the new batch of birth control pills after 21 days, you will prevent ovulation and stop your period from happening. To be most effective, you need to remember to take your pill daily around the same time or replace your patch on schedule.

IUDs and Period Cessation

IUDs can remain in for up to five years, and when they have been treated with the hormone progestin, the IUD is effective for reducing heavy periods and in some cases preventing periods altogether. They are effective in stopping periods about 75% of the time – the other 25% of women still experience breakthrough bleeding or very light periods.

Depo-Provera Shots
One of the most popular and most effective period cessation treatments is Depo-Provera. Delivered as a shot in your hip every three months, it is by far the most effective option for period suppression. While it can take six months to a year for your body to adjust and regulate with no breakthrough bleeding, the side effects of Depo-Provera are minimal. Most women experience some bone density loss while they are on it, but it can be reversed once you stop taking it.

If you are interested in learning more about menstrual suppression or birth control from Dr. Katayoun Motlagh, please contact our office today or schedule an appointment by filling out the appointment request form right on this page. We service the following areas in Antelope Valley: Lancaster, Quartz Hill, and Acton.

Learn more about our women's health services.

* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.